Hospice Volunteers are an important part of the Hospice team. You will be supported in your role by a competent and caring group of nurses, aides, social workers, chaplains, and fellow volunteers. Hospice of the Miami Valley offers:
- Flexibility…volunteer as many or as few hours as you wish.
- Specialized Training… provided to fit your schedule. Training is provided by Hospice of the Miami Valley as a Level I, II, or III Hospice Volunteer. On-site training is available for any groups interested in the program.
- Personal Growth…an opportunity to learn new skills and expand your knowledge and experience.
Special Project Volunteer
Help with special projects and activities that are vital in providing indirect support to our patients and their caregivers. Some examples are:
- Knit, quilt, or crochet lap blankets
- Sew “Comfort Bears” for patients
- Bake cakes for special occasions
- Create cards for birthdays and other occasions
- Assist with hospice memorial services
- Sing or play musical instruments
- Assist with efforts to increase awareness
- Light home repairs or gardening
Companion / Friendly Visitor Volunteer
Offer support, companionship and practical, caring help to a special group of people. Whether it’s running errands, staying with the patient so a family member can take a break, reading to patients, or holding their hand, the help and support that our volunteers give is returned to them in countless ways.Read More
Provide telephone support and a listening ear for those who are making the journey through the grieving process. Specialized training is provided. Each person moves through grief at their own pace, and finding a person who will work with them in a non-judgmental way is a priceless treasure.
This program is designed to serve “vigil” or patients who are actively dying without family or friends present. Specialized training is provided. At Hospice of the Miami Valley, our goal is no one dies alone.
Many opportunities exist for your group, club, or organization to become involved with hospice. Hospice of the Miami Valley will provide on-site training for any interested group.Read More